Monday, February 25, 2013

Negativity

Sometimes it amazes me the negativity I see in people.

I got complimented yesterday by a Safeway employee about how I always have a smile on my face. It made me realize, as I observed other people that day, that most people aren't smiling.  A lot of people don't say thank you, or please, or smile in thanks. I never really thought about how it may be unusual that I do those things, because to me they seem so natural.

I told that employee that there wasn't anything so bad in my life that I had to be upset about. He told me that that was a good attitude to have.

Have I had struggles? Yes. I've had bad days. I don't love my job, or know what I want to do with my life. My brakes are going out in my car. My apartment has horrible insulation and is always freezing. My childhood was challenging, and my family can still be. But whenever I think about those things, I remember that as bad as I may have it, there are people who have it worse. They can get through it, and so can I.

So I smile. And I practice kindness. And I show my appreciation for people by saying 'please' and 'thank you'. I try not to judge people, and I try to be understanding. That's what I can do to make life a little easier, for myself and for the people around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment